Storage Blog

Home     Storage    Blog

Mistletoe: The Holiday Plant of Doom? Unexpected Holiday Hazards for Your Pets

While you’re busy indulging on frothy hot chocolate and pumpkin pie, your cat or dog may be up to trouble in the other room. Your living room all warm and bright might just be a booby trap for your overly curious pet. To keep them safe and sound this holiday season, be wary of a few unexpected holiday hazards.




Hang your mistletoe as soon as possible, and not just to catch Mr. Right in the doorway. Mistletoe berries are moderately to severely toxic to pets.  American mistletoe is often milder than European types, but it should be preceded with caution. If your pet is vomiting and experiencing other digestive problems after snacking on some berries, bring your pet to the vet immediately. Holly, poinsettia plants, and Christmas trees are slightly toxic to pets, but are generally far milder than their over-hyped reputations.




You like tinsel because it’s shiny and fun to play with. Your cat loves tinsel for the same reason, but watch out. Tinsel, while not toxic in and of itself, is deadly if consumed. If not caught in time, the tinsel can twist and bunch inside your cat’s intestines. Needless to say, it’s not pretty, and oftentimes, it can result in death. For the sake of your furry friends, forgo the tinsel.


Holiday Food


Holiday feasting should stay in the human’s bowls, not the dog’s bowls. This goes for chocolate, especially. When a dog ingests chocolate, it can cause muscle spasms, seizures, vomiting, weakness, and even death. Keep chocolate gifts in a cupboard rather than under the tree.


Christmas Tree Water


Your pet is going to see water in a bowl, and not care the water bowl is for the tree. If you’re adding chemicals to the tree water to keep it healthy and green, make sure the chemicals are organic and not harmful to your pets.


Before you take out all of your Christmas decorations from storage, just remember to keep your pets in mind. You want a visit from Santa this year; not a visit to the vet.